About Medical Social Work
To provide social services to patients while hospitalized up until discharge or transfer overseas
- Support patients and their families with the problems that accompany illness or inhibit recovery and rehabilitation after discharge to home and refer for counselling where appropriate.
- Collect and analyse patient information to assist other health professionals.
- Assess patient and family functioning on an ongoing basis, providing or recommending community services as conditions change.
- Coordinate services with other multi-disciplinary team members for home care and equipment, or referral service to community resources such as day care and long-term care facilities.
- Assist with transfers of patients via commercial flight or by air ambulance for further treatment abroad.