About SCARS (Saving Children and Revealing Secrets)
To reduce the risk of child sexual abuse and to be an advocate and voice for children who have been sexually molested as well as their affected family.
- We provide a certified training program to the community called D2L Stewards of Children. Stewards of Children is a 3 hour certified trauma informed adult training program led by an Authorized Facilitator who has been trained by Darkness to Light. It includes a two-part DVD presentation integrating commentary from sexual abuse survivors, experts in the field and other concerned adults all providing practical guidance for preventing and responding to sexual abuse. The training also includes facilitated discussion that reinforces key concepts, a resource guide and personal action plan for helping to resolve child sexual abuse. The facilitator-led discussion is about important issues in sexual abuse prevention and the relevance of these issues within the community and organizations that are entrusted with the care of children.
Some of the outcomes of the program are as follows:
· Increased awareness of the prevalence, consequences, and circumstances of child sexual abuse· New skills for adults to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to child sexual abuse
· Positive change to organizational policies and procedures
· Individual commitment to action through a personal prevention plan
- - We also provide our SAFE (SCARS Arms Families Through Education) programme to organizations entrusted with the care of children. This SAFE programme provides a tool box information, which includes information on the statistics of child sexual abuse, important information parents should know and teach their children, inappropriate behaviors to watch for, warning signs, the characteristics of a sex offender.
Categories: Abuse - Drugs and Alcohol, Advocacy, Education, Parenting